City Year Mentor Next Steps
Welcome to City Year UK! As a new mentor, you are now part of an ever-growing family of leaders who wear the red jacket with pride. We are so excited to see what you can achieve during your year of service!
We have a saying at City Year, 1CY, which shows that we are all part of one team, working together to make an impact. We believe in the power of young people and will invest in you - just as you will invest in the lives of school-aged children.
Basic Training Academy
Mark your calendars! Basic Training Academy will take place from 21st August 2023 to Friday 8th September. Arrival time is 9am for your first day of training. Please see here for the BTA schedule and agenda.
What to bring:
- Your physical DBS certificate
- Physical copies of the 3 forms of ID you previously scanned to your recruitment officer
- Your daily travel receipts so we can reimburse your expenses (transport and petrol costs only)
- A pen and notebook / laptop (optional)
Black trousers, smart white top/shirt, and smart black shoes. You will receive your official City Year UK t-shirt and red jacket during the first week of BTA.
What to do prior to BTA:
1. Onboarding and New Starter Form: Please complete this onboarding form to inform us of your support needs, your service year address, and your City Year uniform size. You need to complete this by 11th August in order to get the uniform size of your choice.
2. DBS Check: Please complete these steps as soon as possible so that your regional recruitment team can get started on processing your DBS check.
- Click here to complete your DBS application. Please complete this as soon as possible so that we can put the DBS check through online.
- In order to do a DBS check, we need you to scan across three ID documents to your regional recruitment team – this can be a driving licence, passport, and a third document such as a bank statement or birth certificate. Please click here for guidance and a full list of accepted documents.
- We will need to see your DBS certificate, along with your ID that you used for your DBS check, during your first week on the programme so please keep these safe.
- You cannot join the City Year Programme without a DBS check – complete this as soon as possible and please send your recruitment team three different ID documents.
3. GCSE Maths and English Certificate: If you haven’t done so already, you need to send a copy (photo or scan) of your Maths and English GCSE certificate to your local recruitment team.
4. Overseas Check: If you have spent more than 12 months overseas since you’ve turned 18, you will need to complete an overseas police check to secure your place on the programme. Information about how to complete this by country can be found here. Please contact your Recruitment Officer if you have any questions about this and keep them updated once it’s complete.
5. Placement Documents: If you’re a university placement student, please get in touch with your placement team to let them know you’ll be doing your placement year with City Year UK. Contact your recruitment team if you need us to complete any forms or provide any details.
6. Reference Details: We need the details of at least two individuals (covering the last 5 years, 2019-2023) that we can contact for a reference for you. Please chat with your local recruitment team if you are unsure. For each referee, we will need the following information:
- Full name
- Organisation name
- Their relationship to you (ie. tutor, manager, previous teacher, etc.)
- Dates (time period of your relationship)
- Address (of workplace)
- Telephone number
- Email address
These two references must cover the period of 2019-2023 to be accepted.
When you work to change the life of another, it inevitably changes you.”
Mushtaq proudly served as a City Year Mentor in London, 2022-23. “It has been a stimulating responsibility to serve as...
Ready to get started?
We'd love for you to get involved before you join the programme in August! Keep your eyes peeled for emails about upcoming opportunities and get in touch with your regional recruitment team if you would like to chat with a current mentor or take part in a Leadership Development Day Taster Session!
A survey found that after City Year...
said City Year helped prepare them for a career.
said City Year had a positive impact on their life.
said City Year helped them work with people from different backgrounds.
would recommend the experience to their friends.