How will I fund my City Year?

To support you through your year of service you will receive:

  • Living expenses up to £4,400 a year in London and £3,960 in the West Midlands and Greater Manchester
  • Reimbursement for any travel expenses you incur as a result of City Year activities.
  • Support with your financial management through training, workshops and online tools.
  • The City Year Hardship fund if eligible
  • You may also be eligible to claim certain forms of benefit from the government, such as Housing Benefits or Council Tax Reduction. More information can be found on the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • If you are going to be completing City Year as a university placement year you are still able to claim student finance. Speak to your university or Student Finance for more information.

Please refer to other useful resources including Volunteer England and Citizens Advice Bureau.

How else are volunteer mentors supported through the programme?
  • City Year is a shared experience: you will contribute to and benefit from the support of other members within your school team.
  • You will be managed and supported by an onsite Impact Officer, who is part of the City Year staff team.
  • You will receive regular mentoring support from an employee at one of our corporate partner organisations.
  • You will have your own personal development plan to support your leadership development.
How do I apply and when?

We recruit on an ongoing basis for an August start and we advise that you apply early to secure your place. Apply now.

Can I defer for a year?

We recruit on an ongoing basis and welcome applications for next year’s programme.

Is there anyone I can speak to before the assessment centre for helpful tips?

Yes - we have a dedicated recruitment team who are happy to answer any questions you may have.

When will I hear back from City Year after submitting my application?

We receive a high volume of applications but you’ll hear back from us within five working days.

What does the recruitment process involve?

The recruitment process gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your eligibility for the City Year programme. You will be required to complete an application form, and if your application is successful you’ll be invited to an interview.  If you are successful at interview you will progress to the final assessment, which involves a basic literacy and numeracy test.  Please read our  top tips for applying guide to give yourself the best possible chance. they are now  stage. 

If I have been rejected can I apply again?

Yes, but not for the same year. You will be eligible to apply for the following year.

I consider myself to have a disability. How would I be supported if I apply to City Year?

We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities. We will make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs in the assessment process. If you are successful and are offered a place on the programme, we will discuss with you the reasonable adjustments that need to be made throughout the programme.

What is a DBS check and how do I get one?

All applicants must complete an enhanced DBS check which helps us make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with children. If you are offered a place on the programme City Year UK will walk you through the DBS process and pay for your application. To complete the DBS check you will need to provide certain ID documents, which our recruitment team will talk you through. Alternatively, more information about what ID documents are used to process your DBS check can be found here.

Can I apply if I have a previous offence (caution, reprimand or formal warning) or previous disciplinary matter?

All applicants must satisfactorily complete the enhanced DBS check. Please disclose any detail on your self-declaration form and if successful, we will contact you to set up a safeguarding panel meeting where your situation will be reviewed. If you have any queries prior to assessment centre please contact:

Can I apply if I don’t have a degree?

Yes - we accept applications from young people who are studying for, or who have completed, A-Levels or other level 3 qualifications.

Can I get feedback on my application/assessment centre?

Due to the high volume of applications we are unable to give feedback at the application stage, but we do give feedback after you’ve been to an assessment centre.

Will I have to live in London, West Midlands or Greater Manchester during my City Year?

Our partner schools are based in London, West Midlands and Greater Manchester so we ask that our volunteer mentors live in these regions or are able to travel to their respective school in under 90 minutes. Please talk to a member of the recruitment team if you have any questions.

I’m an international student, can you sponsor my visa?

As part of our entry requirements we ask that all applicants have the right to live and work in the UK; we do not sponsor visas for international applicants.

Which school will I be placed in for my City Year? Can I choose?


Whilst you cannot choose which school you are based in for your year at City Year, you can give a preference of being placed in a primary or secondary school. Due to the number of schools and volunteers we have on the programme preferences cannot be guaranteed. Preferences are a factor we take into consideration when allocating volunteer mentors, alongside your location and those of the schools, and skill sets shown throughout the assessment process.